Sunday, May 27, 2012

elementary, my dear Watson

I just realized that I totally forgot where I was going with my weird deodorant story a few weeks ago.  The reason I thought about it was because I was recently watching a TV show where some detectives figured out that the female victim had a serious boyfriend based on the men's deodorant and razor they found in her bathroom.  I laughed and wondered what mistaken assumptions a police detective might make about me if I ever turned up missing.  In my case, the men's deodorant is in my bathroom as a souvenir of my San Francisco interview trip, and the men's razor is in my bathroom because the Gillette Mach 3 doesn't bother my legs as much as women's razors.


I guess detectives who leap to assumptions make for better TV, but I always worry that real police will think they can do the same thing in real life.  And in fact, they often do, which is one of the reasons why we see so many wrongful convictions getting overturned with DNA or other evidence.

No comments: